Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Looking like fall in Vermont

Photo by Bill "anything fishy" Osborne

I have been pretty busy guiding and getting my wholesale fly line together to write this winters work. We had a light frost in the valley a couple mornings ago. Trout fishing is a mid morning and afternoon affair. On windy days there is alot of debris in the water. I've been successful with dryfly and wetfly combos fished upstream on the Battenkill. The Walloomsac in my opinion is done for the season. Currently the Battenkill is the best option with the Mettawee a close second.
We need rain.....I can't believe I just wrote that.....but we do....small streams are very low!!! Word has it Landlocked Salmon on Champlain are staged but need water to draw in the run. Same thing on the Salmon river in New York....small runs of Salmon....but need water to get the big push in.

Grouse season opens this coming Saturday....Woodcock opens on the 6th of October...At that point I jump around between guiding Trout, Bass and birds.....my buddy Tucker loves the new homestead and is in GREAT shape for an old dog....

Bass are moving towards the bank. Water temps are dropping and the bite is on. Been hearing alot of chatter about a pike bite too....we'll see on Thursday and Saturday when I have lake trips.

Thinking the mountain Brook thing is also a done deal for this season...it sure was fun this summer.

October is very busy around here....got some openings in the beginning of the month then its booked solid from Oct 8th until November 4th. I will be thinking Lakers on Champlain then. Since Nick has out grown youth deer hunting...the first weekend in November I will be open for Laker trips. All for now and thanks for staying tuned and please tell your buddies about the blog!!!