Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summertime Vermont Trout Fishing

The hot weather is here. The past several days we have been fly fishing for Trout in southern Vermont. We will be seeing Tricos any day and I have my trico box in my vest. BWO size 16 are working very well. I am using a cross pattern between a compradun and a usual. Its got a snowshoe rabbit foot wing with a split tail. Its been deadly. Mayflies and caddis are present for a couple hours in the morning and an hour just before dark. So whats a wild trout to do for food???? TERRESTRIALS= living or growing on land but when they fall in the water the trout think they are yummy.

Ants, beetles, inch worms, leaf hoppers, grasshoppers, crickets, tent worms, moths, termites, flying ants.....if its in the water.....its lunch.

One of my favorite summertime combos is a yellow adams wulff trailed by a black ant wetfly. This has been an excellent Mettawee combo for wild rainbow trout. Yes....I said it....the Mettawee....we fished the upper Mettawee in Dorset and did quite well.

Mountain streams for Brook Trout, wet wading, 6'2weight, dryflies.....get some!!!