Thursday, April 16, 2009

Southern Vermont Trout fishing

I spent some time today looking at the Walloomsac River in Bennington, Vt. This is one of my favorite Vermont rivers to guide flyfishing on. It's too early to fish the Walloomsac although it was in good shape. As a fishing guide, there is alot of walking and looking....and not as much fishing. In the afternoon, I spent time on the Battenkill looking for hatch activity. Blue Quills are the primary food source. Most of the Trout today were picking out nymphs in the surface film trying to emerge. But if a dun did get in the drift...it was eaten. Will be Lake fishing for Brown Trout tomorrow. Over the winter, I created an Alewife trolling pattern I need to fish. Lake St. Catherine has been producing alot of Brown Trout and I've seen several over 5 lbs. Stay tuned!