Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fly fishing for Trout in Southern Vermont

Boy, today was one of those days....I was really, really glad....I didn't have to fish!!! It was raining and hard at some points and my outside thermometer never went much above 50....Rotten weather!!! But this week I was fishing and guiding. I myself caught a bunch of Smallies and a keeper Walley. Looks like the trophy sections of Otter Creek and East Creek are done till the state refreshes them. The Black River is fishing OK and I will be on it hard after this coming tuesday. Otter Creek out of the trophy area north of Danby has been fishing very well and has saved my bacon a bunch of times. Hendrickson are peaking and morels are up.....we picked a handful the other day and the hunt is on. Looking forward to spending 2 or 3 weeks on the Black River. My little backyard brook= Endless Brook has been getting a huge red quill spinner fall after dinner. Top pair of flies.....you guessed it I bet....a size 10 BH 5/32 on the dropper and a size 12 BH 1/8 on the trailer with an indicator set 4 to 5 feet above it.... Catch and release Trout and pick Morels!!!